Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just another manic Wednesday

Today started out well. I woke up and was actually cool for the first time in a couple weeks. My swamp cooler had finally gotten hooked up and not a minute too soon either. So, thanks to K and her brother, my place is now bearable. Because seriously, it's just not cool to be sweating while sitting doing nothing. It makes me wonder how humans survived before any type of air conditioning . . .

Moving on. I took a cool shower, and was ready for work. I wanted to get to work about 15 minutes early to get a few things done before the vet showed up. So at 7:45 I went out to my car, put the key in and turned it. click click click. Hmmm. Not a good sign. Let's try that again. click click click. Crap. Fortunately being that I live about 4 blocks from the clinic here in Sticksville, I gave my car a sympathetic pat and hoofed it to work. I power-walked to make sure I'd be there on time. I walked up to the clinic, narrowly avoiding a group of wild turkeys on the way. I noted that several people were already waiting for me, and one gal had the audacity to (jokingly) holler out, "It's about time!" I pulled my cell phone from my back pocket and checked the time. I hollered back, "My car died and I'm still two minutes early!" Take that.

I hadn't noticed any major sweating whilst walking, but once I stopped walking, I couldn't stop sweating. I grabbed a Kleenex and started dabbing myself and I started checking people's pets in. We had a dog shave and two drop-off exams/vaccinations. I didn't stop sweating until somewhere around 10am. At 8:30 I said I needed a cold shower. It was not a pretty sight.

 When the vet rolled up, she said, "I'm confused . . . where's your car? I was worried you weren't here." Easy explanation - dead car battery. After her hectic morning of appointments, she offered to take me somewhere for lunch as she'd brought leftovers for herself. I told her that I was originally going to go home and make a sandwich and she was welcome to eat her leftovers at my place if she'd provide the ride. And so we ate our lunch directly in front of my swamp cooler. Bliss.

Everyone that came in today (well, okay, 99.9% of those that came in) asked, "I didn't see your car out front . . ." At 11am, my grandfather called and left a message on my cell saying, "I noticed your car is still at your house, and I just wanted to make sure you're okay." I'm glad people are looking out for me, but I'm not sure how happy I am that 99% of the valley now knows exactly what car I drive. There's not many of them in the valley. And it's red. I think it's the only red on that lives in this valley. Yikes.

After lunch I got caught up on paperwork while Dr. A went out on a couple of ranch calls. I squeezed in a few last minute appointments between 4 and 4:30 (we close at 4:30). One gal I had been talking to off and on all day on the phone (I'll call her Goat Lady because she raises goats), as she needed a health certificate for a goat that was shipping out over the weekend. Around 4, she calls and says she's bringing in another goat that sliced her leg open, right down to the bone. Dr. A tried to see our other appointments quickly, but quick just didn't seem to work out well today.

At 5:15 I texted K to tell her we had a goat emergency and that I would be late for dinner and to not wait on me at the restaurant for her brother's birthday today.

The poor goat that sliced its leg open wasn't very old, but she was a very good patient. Goat Lady had left the health certificate goat outside while we worked on the other one. Around 5, our neighbor called and said, "Oh good you are still there. Someone has left a goat outside in the heat." Goat Lady went to bring the goat inside, where he promptly followed me around everywhere I went. I had to keep getting stuff for Dr. A, and also lay towels down everywhere the buck went because he peed everywhere. And if he wasn't peeing, he was crapping and leaving little goat trails that I had to keep sweeping. But the other goat got all stitched up and is already walking. She sliced off a chunk of muscle about a inch long and a half inch deep, so it made attaching the muscle that was left to anything impossible, but we cleaned the wound out and put a drain in it and stitched it closed.

We were finally done at 6pm, an hour and a half late, and sent Goat Lady home with her two goats and some meds. Goat Lady offered to take me to the restaurant just down the street, but I still had to clean up a bit and close up. Dr. A wound up giving me a ride after we closed up, and I got there just about two minutes before everyone got their dinner. Don't worry, because when I got mine, I freaking inhaled it and finished only a minute after everyone else did. We then we back to the house for dessert and presents - he got lots of guy-type gadgets in case anyone was wondering.

After dessert and presents, Papa D and K's bro drove me to my place and put a battery charger on my car for the night. Hopefully that will work and get me around tomorrow so that I can get it replaced soon.

I got home sometime around 8pm, turned on my swamp cooler, took the cold shower I had been craving since about 7:45 this morning, and have taken some Advil because my body freaking hurts.

And now, I'm tired. I'm pretty sure I will sleep well. lol

8 comments:

  1. What a day, your poor thing. Batteries seem to have a habit of dying just when you really need the car. Happened to me just the other day.

    Still it sounds like the day finished well for you and it is a good thing that people know your car and care. (Well I think it is)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its never during a convenient time. Sheesh. :o)

      Delete
  2. Wow what a day for sure, I'd been thinking about attempting to walk it to work, or bike it, but just can't make the time. That sucks about your car battery though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wouldn't mind walking, but seriously, I don't have a car there for two days, and everyone wonders if I'm there and the clinic is actually open. lol

      Delete
  3. That sounds like one long day, are you the only one in the clinic? Hope the goat is doing fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the Sticksville clinic, yes, I'm alone (except for a doctor on Wednesdays), so I have lots to keep me busy! :o)

      Delete
  4. Dang those car batteries, always giving out at the most inconvieniently possible moment! Usually happens to me if I forget to turn off the interior dome light...good thing I have a Hubby who doesn't mind playing with jumper cables. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)