Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Psycho Roomie, Part XIII: Suzi and Vet School

I still shudder to think of the possibility of this girl being a veterinarian. Typically, that's a smart person thing. Like, not just book smart, but common sense smart. Of which Suzi is not. I think I may have already proved that with stories about the air conditioner or the cereal box. She was fairly book smart, but the common sense part needed some (a lot) of work.

Getting into vet school is really hard. For those that don't know, vet school is typically twice as difficult as medical school to get into. Just like medical school, you have tons of prerequisite courses you have to take, just to prove you can handle tough classes. Everyone who applies has taken the same classes and has pretty much the same GPA. The thing that sets you apart in vet school is how many hours you put into working with animals - like vet clinics, animal rescue groups, humane societies, etc. Plus any other extra curricular
activities you can think of. Oh, and also, which part of veterinary medicine you'd like to practice.

At the time Suzi was applying, large animal vets were in demand. The trick was that even if you didn't want to deal with large animals, you could say that you wanted it to be your focus and you could change your focus later, once admitted. The large animal vets are probably still in demand. Suzi actually wanted to work with small animals and "pocket pets". Pocket Pets are the small furry critters, like hamsters and rats. Pocket Pet vets also tend to see a lot of exotic animals, as well.

Vet schools require an applicant to work so many hours under a veterinarian. Some students do it through volunteering, others work as kennel or reception. Most vets and technicians are happy to let potential vet students observe surgeries, or teach them
restraint procedures, medicating pets, among several other things.

Suzi basically did the bare minimum required hours. And she bitched about the whole time. She worked as a kennel tech for a vet clinic in Chico. She constantly complained about how she was treated there, and how some other girl who started after her got promoted to reception before her. My first thought was the other girl had a brain.

I took what Suzi said with a grain of salt. I've done the kennel work, and yes, it can suck. Especially if you have a mean boss who wants to make your life a living Hell. However, I knew other people from school that worked in that clinic and I never really heard bad things about them. Except from Suzi. It was all bad when it came from Suzi's lips.

Suzi did internship credits for her hours at the clinic, basically it was an easy A. At the end of your hours, your boss reviews your work - fills out a form and everything. The student also has to make a poster for the Ag Department, and I think you had a write a paper. I don't remember her poster, I think I blocked it out.

I do, however, remember something from the review. She had left if out on the dining table, in plain sight, so it wasn't like I was spying or anything. I thumbed through it and found this one line that stuck with me: "Needs more common sense when making routine decisions."

It was a good thing she wasn't home, because I about died from laughter. This all fit the stories I heard from classmates that worked with her. Apparently, she constantly had to be told what to do. She constantly asked what she had to do. It's pretty straight forward for a kennel tech. Pick up the kennels and litter boxes, keep up with the laundry and dishes, feed the animals, medicate those that you're allowed to, help keep exam rooms clean, and if you're lucky, help the receptionists file back patient files. It's not a glorious position. It's a very dirty one. And many times very stinky.
Suzi apparently thought she was above all that, and she told me so on several occasions. I nearly went blue in the face trying to explain this to her. I apparently don't learn well from my mistakes - you can't win with crazy. The thing is, is that all vets started out as a kennel attendant at some point. You have to earn your way up. Prove yourself. If you can't remember the kennel attendants duties on your own, they'll never promote your stupid ass. But because she was "Pre-Vet" she thought she was above all of this. Being a vet is typically a dirty job. The bigger the animal, the bigger then mess. They all start out by cleaning the mess up.

Applications are due in the fall. And they make you wait until March (at the earliest) or April to hear from them to see if you got in, or if you'll be taking filler classes for another year. I don't remember how many schools Suzi applied to, it was 3 or 4 I think. I know she applied to UC Davis, Colorado State, and I can't remember where else. Come spring, I find out from her that she got rejected from all she applied to. It's not shocking. Most first year applicants don't get in. Even if they're 5 times better qualified than Suzi. It's just a part of the weeding process. Suzi was very depressed about this, because, "now what would she do with her life?"

This coming from a girl, who I shit you not, was counting on her so-called "learning disability" to get her into vet school. Apparently there isn't a name for her learning disability, because she has several traits of several disabilities. The biggest contributor? Stupidity.

Did she apply again the next year? Doubtful, but it's possible. From what I've heard from Betty over the years, it would appear that Suzi never made it to vet school. So, for all of us who have pets - we can breathe a sigh of relief. She did for awhile, want to be a paramedic. My first thought was I didn't want to live in any state in which she held that profession. But from what I've heard, she works at one of the local clinics for the hospital in Chico (like one of the people walk-ins). Would you believe Betty (the third girl that Suzi practically forced out of our apartment) had her has the gal who took her into a room and took her vitals? I told Betty that if it had been me, I would have stormed out and demand that someone else work with me, just because of the history that's there.

But yes. She didn't get into vet school. I don't believe she's an actual nurse, probably not even an LVN or a CNA. More than likely, she's a Medical Assistant.

I really hope I never have to see a doctor in Chico. Ever. Suzi might be there.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, your stories never cease to amaze me. When I see a Psycho Roomie post I get all excited, like I want some popcorn while I read about the drama and her stupidity.
    You are an angel for dealing with her.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, I love reading about Suzi and her crazy ways!

    Hazel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, keep a little bag of microwave popcorn around for such occasions! LOL

    I'm glad you guys enjoy them. Always good for a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these crazy roommate stories!! They always leave me with a dropped jaw--first thing I thought when I saw her name with "vet" was panic. The idea of taking my puppy to HER is just nauseating. HELL NO! I mean, really? Floored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frisky - oh seriously, I was relieved when I found out she didn't get in. I had a gut feeling she wouldn't, but it was just the mere THOUGHT. If her parents could have I'm sure they would have bought her way in!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)