I'm teaming up with Joyce and the gang for another round of Wednesday Hodgepodge!
1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?
Yes, I do own a dictionary. And a thesaurus. And a Spanish-English dictionary. And a veterinary medical dictionary. I'm pretty sure I'm dictionaried out. I do use my hardcover dictionary once in awhile. If I'm already online, I will use the online version. It is my opinion, however, that every household should have at least one physical dictionary.
2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?
Good Lord, the schools are about the take away every fun thing for children. I'm sorry, but I honestly believe that many parents and schools are just too protective. If you don't want your child to participate in holiday activities of any kind, that's your prerogative as a parent. Don't force other kids who celebrate whole heartedly and embrace it. There is nothing wrong with kids dressing up once a year and demanding candy. Many schools already stopped doing their spring break at Easter. Next up on the chopping block is St. Patrick's Day. God forbid kids wear green pretending to be Irish for a day. There is nothing wrong with schools having a "haunted house" fun night - often times it's used as a fundraiser. Not to mention it's a fun family night. And by the way, we Americans adopted the whole trick-or-treat dressed in disguises from, guess who? The Irish. You know, from their mass immigration to the US during their potato famine in the 1800s. Also, we borrowed from other countries. I'm also going to guess that 99% of kids and even parents don't know the history of Halloween, not the whole of it anyway. It's not necessarily as evil as you make it out to be. So leave it the hell alone.
3. What's your favorite 'dog' movie?
Eight Below, Call of the Wild, White Fang, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Iron Will, My Dog Skip*, Marley & Me*, Chips the War Dog, and of course, Lady & the Tramp. What can I say? I love dogs.
4. When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?
Haha. Sticksville. Not that that's a bad thing, really. I liked that it was quiet.
5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?
I try to be neat but I'm a hopeless mess! lol
6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous?
First thought was "COOL!" and my second thought was "Craziest man alive!" My stomach did flips watching the videos of him.
7. What's not a word but should be?
Not sure. Urban Dictionary has words that shouldn't be real words, yet are. It never fails, they've got everything pretty much covered.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
GO GIANTS!!!!!! :D KEEP KICKING CARDINAL ASS!!!
*If you haven't seen them yet, my one warning is to watch with a box of Kleenex. One for each. Great movies, but total tear jerkers. If you didn't hear the rumor about Marley & Me, there was not one dry eye in theaters . . . including the men. I witnessed it personally.