Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

And there was a nice lady at Applebees


Monday was a day off from work. (oh, in case I have yet to mention it, I found part-time work at a wedding/party rental place thanks to a cousin) Granny told me she had a doctor appointment and asked me to go with her to help her, as well as her physical therapy. Which meant that the day I had planned of staying home cleaning and getting stuff done wasn't going to happen. Which was fine, I didn't mind running around with Granny.

Granny and I made it to her doctor's office just in time - we had to drop W off at his place on our way - and I hauled Granny's wheel chair out of the trunk. Wheeled her up to the office and got her all checked in. Only to be told moments later that her appointment was for June 13th not May 13th. Sigh.

Back in the car we went. Her physical therapy wasn't until 2pm, and it's a half hour into town from the house, so we didn't want to drive all the way back home just to have to drive right back in. So we ran a couple little errands and the decided on a slightly early lunch at Applebees.

I wheeled Granny up to the front doors and was starting to wonder how I was going to get her in those heavy doors by myself (because Applebees' entrance is NOT handicap accessible, I don't care what anyone says. When a gal came out of the front door and held it open for me. I said, "Thank you!" She said, "I'll the inner door in just a second. I thought you might need a hand opening the doors." I told her thank you a few more times and told her how sweet she was. She then went back to her table to finish her meal. 

Our waitress was sweet, but kinda kept forgetting about us. Took forever for her to come and take our order, we asked for extra salad dressing for our oriental chicken salads and we never got it, and I was sucking on my ice cubes before she showed back up so I could ask her for a refill, and then it took her forever to take our ticket with credit card.

After lunch Granny wanted to take her car to Les Schwab - they had rotated her tires before my parents left for the 5 week trip and now her car has a shimmy  once you hit 70 mph. Of course being Monday they were slammed, but the guy I spoke to assured me that they could have it done so Granny could still make her physical therapy appointment. It took them about 20 minutes just to put the car into a bay, and Granny was concerned about making her appointment. I assured her that we were only 10 minutes tops from where the appointment was. Right about 1:30 they pulled her car out of the bay and ten minutes later I pulled the car up to the front door for her. We were at her physical therapy place ten minutes after that.

A little over an hour later I pulled the car up to the front to get her loaded and she asked to stop somewhere for a fountain soda. And to go to the car wash.

Once home, it was time to clean house, cook dinner, and do the ironing. I didn't stop until about 9pm.

The high spot was the gal at Applebees, who opened the door for me and Granny. It's just so nice to know that there are such nice people out there who are happy to open a door for someone pushing someone else in a wheelchair. She didn't have to get up from her table, her meal, to open a door. I really appreciate her taking the one minute out of her day to hold open a door to help a couple of people. Thanks lady, whoever you are, you're an awesome person.

2 comments:

  1. There are still some people out there "collecting treasure for heaven". We're just being outnumbered by Applebee's waitresses.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)