Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge





1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly.  Is he right?

That's kind of like "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Just like either one (nor will we ever know), the answer can be both yes and no this question.
2. Are you a cereal eater?  What's your favorite kind?

I'm not much of a cereal eater. I enjoy Cheerios, Corn Pops, and I will always love Lucky Charms.
3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles).  She did not have the gun with her at school.

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record.  The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts?  (If you missed the story click here for details). 

You've got to be effing kidding me. A child was suspended for "talk" of shooting with bubbles???? What has the world come to?! Stop the ride, I want OFF. I'd rather hear this kind of talk than some kid bringing a gun into a school and letting loose with it. If that's not over-kill and over-reacting I don't know what is. Seriously, I never wanted to home school my future children, but at this rate, I'm starting to re-think that. I'm sorry to say this, but this? This is bullshit.
4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?

The news. I mean, the real news. Because, people, the First Lady's hairstyle is not news. I don't care what anyone says - It. Is. Not. News.

5.  January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil.  Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive?  This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?

I had no idea there was a National Handwriting Day! Pretty cool, though. If I'm not in a hurry, I like my handwriting. It's typically a combination of print and cursive, which I think most people wind up doing that. The last thing I signed my name to was my time card.

What is sad is that many schools don't teach cursive handwriting anymore because of time constraints. There are many kids that can't read cursive handwriting because it's no longer being taught. I find that just plain sad.

6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?  
 
As a matter of fact, I have been to Philadelphia! I went in high school; a small group of us kids went to summer school (voluntarily!) for American Government. We spent 3 weeks in the classroom and about 3 weeks back east. A couple of days were spent in Philly since technically it's the birthplace of our nation. Independence Hall was under renovations, so we really didn't get to see it, which was disappointing. I did see the Liberty Bell, and some guy who was acting as Benjamin Franklin - he was a cool guy. Let me tell ya, that was the best way to do a class. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I'd actually love to retrace our trip one day. We spent a week in DC, and then crawled up the coast, ending in Boston.

7.  Share something funny you've heard a child say.  
 
 I'm not around a lot of kids, so I don't have anything for this one.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

I slept about 12 hours Monday night. Luckily Tuesday was my day off. After a busy weekend and a busy Monday, I was dragging by Monday night. I remember waking up around 9am on Tuesday, looked at the clock and simply rolled over. But I felt so much better when I woke up at 11am! lol 

Also, being that I was busy all weekend, I forgot to do my USA post. But you can still go check out my first couple of posts about things I love about the USA.

21 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on news- so much entertainment and opinion now. Ugh!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered why officials always need to go to the extreme in reaction to something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They jump to extremes and completely screw things up.

      Delete
  3. If I slept for 12 hours, I don't think I'd be able to function! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes one just needs to catch up on their Z's. But not everyone needs the same amount of Z's.

      Delete
  4. 1. To me, true love should have a sense of honor. So, "all's fair?" Not to me.
    2. Love all of those, just don't get around to getting them anymore.
    3.AMEN!
    4.AMEN!
    5.No, Print, No, and a check.
    6.No and not really.
    7.Ask my FB friends with kids.
    8. My random thoughts are all frozen... some of the directed ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does feel good to catch up on sleep. While I usually don't sleep much (5 hours a night is the norm) occasionally on weekends when I know I don't have to get up early, I will sleep in a bit longer.
    Your summer class sounds awesome and I bet you learned more from it than you would have in a regular classroom setting. I imagine it was more laid back and fun especially with the traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved doing the class that way. If all classes could be taught in a similar fashion that would be awesome.

      Delete
  6. I like your answer for #4. Hope your keeping warm, is it icy every morning where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been icy the last several mornings. Some worse than others. Now it's raining, so no ice. lol

      Delete
  7. I LOVE your answer for number 4! I'd also like to add that 'normal weather for the season' should not be news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I KNOW RIGHT??!! Isn't it terrible? They act like the country has never once seen such cold weather. lol

      Delete
  8. Agree about the news and I hate the way they over dramatise everything.

    I cant remember the last time I slept 12 hours. I cant ever seem to sleep longer than 7 or 8 at the most ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Over dramatize". Yes. I agree - perfect description. I usually will get about 8 hours sleep, but on occasion, I will get more.

      Delete
  9. We're headed to Philly this May :) And I agree... who cares if she has bangs? Number 3 is ridiculous. I should loan those parents my assault arsenal of marshmallow shooters... that would teach that school a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Philly! I'd like to go back one day. And Marshmallow shooters - heh heh. heh.

      Delete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)