Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge


http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com/

1. It's  been said that one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day. Do you think that's true? Do you find that an easy exercise most mornings? What's something positive you told yourself today? If you missed that boat, what's something positive you could tell yourself tomorrow?

Sadly, I don't believe I start out by telling myself something positive. I could tell myself "go get 'em tiger" for job hunting. I could tell myself a few things, but I think the stresses just wear me down and I don't think about them as much. That's what happens sometimes when you're unemployed, fighting with unemployment, packing without knowing where you're going, waiting to hear back about a house loan, looking for houses, contemplating going back to school, filling out job applications and never hearing a single thing back, and worrying about how you'll pay your bills when they come calling in a few weeks.
 
2. There will be karaoke at the next party you attend...are you in? Or will you be faking a sore throat?

Sore throat!! lol
 
3. January 29th is National Puzzle Day...what's something you've found puzzling recently?

The fact that I've sent out at least 20 applications for positions I'm qualified for and not one freaking phone call. Seriously?!
 
4.  Jigsaw, crossword, acrostic, logic, sudoku, word search...what's your favorite kind of puzzle, and when did you last work one?

Word search for me. I usually only do those when I travel, though. So it's pretty rare that I do them.
 
5. Recently a writer by the name of Amy Glass ruffled feathers with a post she wrote saying she looks down on young women with husbands and kids and she's not sorry. Among other things, she says women will be equal with men when we stop saying house work and real work are equally important. You can read the whole piece by clicking here.
What say you? Do you think men and women are equal in the 21st century? Why or why not?

We are and aren't equal. I doubt we'll ever be truly equal. It will always be a debate. But I don't believe women should look down on other women because of the life they chose. You don't have a say over my choices and I don't have a say in yours. If I choose to be a stay-at-home mom, that is my choice. If I choose to have a career instead of a family, it's my choice. If you don't like my choice, tough cookies, it wasn't yours to make anyway. I know women that do the stay-at-home thing, and they're constantly busy. I know women that work part-time so they can be at home part of the time for the family. I know women who could care less about getting married and/or having kids because they are focused on their careers. I know a gal who was so sure about never wanting children, she had a procedure done that makes her sterile. Do I agree with it? No. I don't. But I don't judge her for it - it was her choice to do it and she's happy with it.
 
6. What's a product you've noticed in the grocery store that you'd like to try, but haven't yet?

I can't think of anything that I've seen recently.

7. The author, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) was born this week in 1832 (January 27th).  Which character from his celebrated novel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, would you most like to meet, and why? Here's a link to a character list if you need help on this one.

Probably Alice so I can ask her why she followed a random rabbit, agreed to a tea party full of crazy creatures serving who knows what in the tea, agreed to eat mushrooms from a "stranger", not to mention she listened to a cat who sometimes only appeared as a head. lol
 
8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Boyfriend is waiting to hear about a potential loan so we can buy a house - hopefully. I'm job hunting like crazy. And I'm considering an online school for medical transcription. With my science background and my 60 words per minute I think I can totally do the job. It's the tuition I'm a bit worried about. They still cost more than I'd like.  

24 comments:

  1. Hey! It's been a while since i've seen you hodgepodge-ing ! I agree with your #3 too, that really has annoyed me over the years. ;/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know. My blogging has been rather sporadic for a while. Been so busy!

      Delete
  2. Laurie's sister did transcription for a LOOOOONG time. You'll need good eyes (to read what illiterate docs write) and good ears (for when you have to listen to a transcription from Dr. Phamagoolalong), but I think you'd totally rock the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support. So far, I still have great eye sight and my listening skills are pretty good - well, if I'm paying attention! lol

      Delete
  3. You can do it! Hang in there. Take the time to picture what you really want. Glad you shared your frustration, get it out and keep on moving forward. (I was a cheerleader in high school.)

    Eager to keep reading and learn about the job that you're going to get.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if we get what we want (Boyfriend and I) we'll be living 45 minutes west of the city. Which means I'd be the one commuting for a job. Most transcription jobs can be done from home. That's kind of what I'm going for. In a perfect world, anyway.

      Delete
  4. Wishing you well in your job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an annoyingly positive attitude most of the time. I truly believe that positive thoughts will bring positive results.

    Which is why I'd totally rock on a Karaoke stage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is on a job search too. It isn't easy. I hope you find the perfect job for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not an easy market, that's for sure! Good luck to your husband as well. :o)

      Delete
  7. Hey, thanks for stopping by. Wishing you all the best for the job hunt and the loan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Times are tough, aren't they? Wishing you well with your job search. Hang in there, things will work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from the Hodgepodge. I totally understand about the job search stuff. I've been on the hunt for two years. Don't give up. It will come. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years? Oh my, that's quite a while! I hope that something comes your way soon!

      Delete
  10. I'm late getting around to visiting this week, but I must say I love the way you answered #7. Now that I read it, I'm thinking you worded this, and thought this out so well...makes me wish I'd 'said' something to that effect!!! And,.......good luck on the loan and house hunting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being obsessed with that movie and only now as an adult do I wonder these things. lol

      Delete
  11. I thoroughly LOVE jigsaw puzzles. Spent many a winter's afternoon with my grandparents working on those big 1,000 piece ones. Don't have the room for doing them now...and the cats get far too curious about the pieces anyway. Like doing the word searches as well, but don't do them often. Usually when I'm really super bored.

    Karaoke? No thanks. I'll be faking the sore throat...unless someone wants the room cleared out, lol :-D

    I'm not the cheerleader type myself. More of the practical type (which at times thoroughly annoys my hubby to no end). I tend to wake up in the morning with a "to do" list on my mind, and if I get through it all then 'yay me'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a few puzzles as a kid but I never really got into them too much.

      Delete
  12. I used to LOVE word search puzzles, haven't done them in awhile. I TRY crossword puzzles, but between my bad memory and the giant holes of gaping knowledge, it winds up being a Google session :) which isn't a BAD thing, I have a lot to learn, but I can't do much with just pen and paper. Once I fill in the few things I know, I'm stuck. Good luck with the house, and the job search. I've thought about medical transcription as well, but never actually did anything about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually know maybe 5 answers for crossword puzzles. I'm hoping that I will be able to do the school thing, just have figure out the money. sucks when you have none. lol

      Delete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)