Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Haircut

Everyone gets their haircut. It's a fact of life, folks.

Some do it to try a new hair style. For some, it's just a way to monitor the length, pure and simple. And still others see it as a way to make a statement (colored mohawks, anyone?). So, why do some make an effort to make a simple haircut noticed? Especially when they haven't changed styles, really, just length. It's a little sad, annoying, and yet . . . somehow still comical.

Last night, a gal from work shows up, and it's obvious she cut her hair. Now, in the past, she has always made a point of flipping it, talking about it, and in general making it widely known that she's cut her hair. Even though it's, like, obvious. And last night really was no different. Except that, after all the crap through the years, most people refused to say anything. Which made it even funnier. (Seriously folks, invite only party in my little corner of hell). I heard her talking to one person about her hair. From what I could make out without just walking over there and listening to them talk, here's what I heard from haircut lady:

" . . . yeah, it's nice. I woke up late and I didn't have to do anything to it. It's so nice now."

I had to actually turn away to keep from being noticed . . . from laughing. "I didn't have to do anything." Really? Because when it was down to your waist you styled it every night? You curled it, you straightened it, you made it all pretty.

Um. No. Not a chance in hell. What she did before? nothing. That's it. Nothing. No, really. I'm serious. Ponytail or crappy braid. Those were the only two options that rat nest ever had. So really, her hair styling hasn't changed, just the length. And folks, it's still ugly. So in all reality, nothing has changed. So why am I (and everyone else) supposed to take notice and compliment her on her pretty new haircut? Am I supposed to be obligated to compliment on something I don't think is nice anyway? Didn't Mom always say, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? Funnily enough, my mother did, at least until I turned 18. Then it sort of turned into, "Don't have anything nice to say? Then come sit by me!" Anyway, I won't be complimenting this new haircut, because if I'm going to compliment someone, it's going to be because I like them, I think they're nice. And I like what they did with their hair. But not this time. No, sireeeee. Especially because she's looking for it.

Hehe. Invite only party, people. Invite only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)