Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Oh yeah, btw, did I mention I'm Charlie Brown, too?


So, I've been doing this blogging thing for, like, a month it looks like, and I have yet to explain the title of my blog. Not that I really have to, but I'm sure most people would figure that Charlie Brown is not my real name. Most would probably think "Peanuts" comic strip right off the bat. Well, you're right. About both.


My name is nowhere near Charlie Brown, and it has everything to do with the Charlie Brown of the "Peanuts" comic strip. First off, the "rambling" part of the title is pretty self-explanatory, considering I'm typing about anything I see, hear, think, or feel. My little corner of the World Wide Web to tell folks about the odd or funny things that happen at my job, my life, my neighborhood, or with my friends and family. All parts of life are fair game. The second part, regarding the adorable "Peanuts" character, is my family nickname. One might wonder, "How did a girl get the nickname of Charlie Brown?", and that is a good question. I get to thank my Granddad for the nickname. For some reason, as a baby, I seemed to remind him Charlie Brown, the poor kid who was suckered by Lucy during the entire run of the strip in trying to kick that damn football. And it stuck. For 30 years, I've been Charlie Brown to my dad's side of the family. And I always will be. :o)


Yes, I've had people look at me funny when there hear my nickname and how I received it (probably as you're doing now). And I've had people who just simply don't get it. One of my ex-boyfriends really didn't get it. He simply couldn't fathom the idea that I am a girl, and Charlie Brown is a boy. Apparently the explanation that boys have girl names and girls have boy names didn't seem to ease his pain at all. It kind of aggravated me that he just couldn't accept that it's a nickname. No one has to call me by it, it's a term of endearment amongst my family and my closest friends. He finally said, "Whatever. I'm never calling you Charlie Brown, though." Like I said he had to?? Sheesh.
Charlie Brown is now a huge part of my life. My mom and I went to Santa Rosa a few years ago during their tribute to Charles Shulz and Charlie Brown. I have little Charlie Brown figurines (not tons, but a couple), a large print by Tom Everhart of Charlie Brown and Snoopy, and even the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. I am not joking. My mom bought if for me a couple years ago as a joke. Turns out, I actually used it last year as somehow in my last move I lost my Christmas tree stand and I couldn't find any in stores. So, in an effort to have a Christmas tree, I used my Charlie Brown tree. It's quite cute, actually. Stop laughing. It is cute. OMG, dude, stop laughing. Seriously.



So, my blog is about the ramblings of a different sad little Charlie Brown who never did get to kick that football and has a dog that constantly wants cookies. This Charlie Brown works graveyard shift and owns a cat that sheds enough every day to make another cat.


1 comment:

  1. What a cute story about your nickname! My niece's name is Charlie and I'm just waiting for the day somebody calls her this! haha.
    PS...thanks for all your wonderful comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)