Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

THIS SUCKS

Libby at lunch today. The vets actually put a pin in this leg to keep it straight, which is unfortunately another issue with her back legs. She's bandaged for a month. Kinda looks like a candy cane . . .
 

I gave Libby her meds this evening. By myself.

It turned into a 15 minute torture fest.

I have a total of 3 pills to give her - Tramadol for pain, Previcox for pain and inflammation, and stool softener because Tramadol will plug you up like there's no tomorrow. Dr. J has personal experience. With the stories to prove it.

I'll spare you.

You're welcome.

She also gets Cephalexin in liquid form - her antibiotic. This is the easiest thing to give her.

The Previcox is the second easiest, as it's beef flavored or something.

The stool softener is on the line.

Tramadol sucks majorly. It's truly bitter. And you try shoving a quarter of a tablet down a Yorkie's throat and see how easy it is for you. Alone.

You could shove that shit to her tail and she'll still spit it back up. Whole.

We used to put it in a hot dog and she'd eat it. Shake her head a lot, but she'd eat it. Then she started spitting it out. So my mom crushed and tried putting in a hot dog. Stopped working. My grandmother suggested butter. That worked for about two days.

Now the second you touch her face in the manner that you do when giving meds, she starts thrashing her head around and then progresses to something akin to an alligator's death roll.

Since this torture-fest, I've been getting the saddest little puppy dog eyes ever. Like, it beats Puss N Boots on Shrek.

Yep. I'm talking serious business.

I feel like I've severely hurt her feelings.

I feel lower than pond scum.

And I have a full 7 to 10 days of this.

I just finished day one.

This is going to be a long-ass week.

18 comments:

  1. Poor dear...sucks when they don't want to take their meds. Too bad they couldn't flavor it to taste yummy like some drug stores do with kid's cough syrup.

    Whenever I had to give our old cat Baby any meds, I'd crush it up fine and mix it with copious amounts of chicken flavored canned kitty food.

    Hugs to you and Libby :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning went a bit better, still tough though. I hate struggling with her so.

      Delete
  2. She doesn't look happy. Next step will be hiding under the bed where you cant get her as it get's to the time you need to give her her meds. Those little dogs are clever.

    Good luck, I feel for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was 7 hours before I gave her meds. Luckily she can't be let loose on the floor (doctor's orders) so she can't hide.

      Delete
  3. Awww that little face just says it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it?! That's the "take me to mom" face. lol

      Delete
  4. Aww dogs can be evil sometimes with using puppy dog eyes on ya! Makes ya feel so guilty lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. You know the alternative sucks worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do know the alternative. I just wish I could explain it to her and she could understand.

      Delete
  6. Poor you! And poor Libby too.. that little thing hasn't had the best luck with her legs has she? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty rotten luck. Seems she sort of drew the short straw for back legs. Hopefully this surgery will get her fixed up. Hopefully we'll both retain our sanity! lol

      Delete
  7. Our pup Max just got his neuter on this past Monday and they gave him one of those pills cut in quarters and OMG same story, he HATED it. We tried giving him that in everything. Finally, was able to get him to lick it up with peanut butter. He didn't seem to notice! :) good luck lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying all kinds of tricks. This morning was the best yet. Only had to shove 1 out of 3 pills down her because it's too big to hide in anything. lol

      Delete
  8. Oh, no! Poor you and poor little Libby! When you said worse than Puss-N-Boots eyes, I just melted. That has to be an absolute nightmare for you. :( I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG It was such a nightmare. I broke down on the second day, because I just felt like I was the bad guy. And I hate that feeling.

      Delete
  9. I think all she wanted was to be in my lap, but I still had the whole afternoon to work the front desk! I would have rather let her have my lap! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh, I *hate* giving meds to animals! I always feel terrible and just about end up in tears every time. Our cat finally wouldn't pill anymore, so I crushed his meds, mixed them with a little bit of water, and put it in a syringe. That way, at least I got most of it down his throat! Hope your 7-10 days flies by. :-(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please leave one. :o)